Friday, November 7, 2008

Upper Elementary Reading Lesson Plans, Activities, and Ideas for My Future Classroom

I was having a hard time deciding what to write about for my next journal. So, I thought that I would search the web to try and find some great lesson plans, activities, and ideas for reading in the upper elementary level classrooms. I'm pretty sure that that is the grade level area that I would like to teach in, and I also want to have a large archive of different helpful resources by the time I graduate. This blog in particular has been a lot of help because I am able to put links into my blogs with descriptions, and so I am easily able to navigate through the sites I have already found. Below is a long list of lesson plans and activities by subject that involve literature:

Math:
The Reading Nook - This website has a list of mathematics related literature sorted by concept: fractions, addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, measurement, time, pattern, etc.

ERIC Digests - Literature-Based Mathematics in Elementary School. This article discusses the benefits of a mathemaical literature collection, ways to use mathematics literature in your lessons, the importance of the context, and resources.

Teaching and Learning Elementary Mathematics: Richmond University - This site includes many links for resources in teaching mathematics.

Reading:
Dr. Seuss - A list of links to lesson plans that involve works by Dr. Seuss.

Literature/Reading Activities and Lesson Plans - This website includes a variety of links to lesson plans based on specific books.

Harper Collins - Reading Groups guides on Harper Collins books.

Scholastic - Lesson plans, activities, games, reading groups, etc. for all the book published through Scholastic.

Science:
Terrific Science: Literature-Based Science - According to the site, 'With funding from the Ohio Board of Regents, we developed a professional development program for teachers that promoted the use of children’s literature as a springboard for teaching elementary and middle-school physical science.'

Homeschool Science: Teaching Elementary Science with Great Literature - This website discusses why to use literature to study science, if you don't have a strong background in science, and what books to use and where to find them.

How Do Apples Grow? - An integrated Science, Literature, and Art Sequencing Activity

Social Studies:

Children's Literature with Social Studies Themes - This website has links according to themes and grades.

Opening Doors to Social Studies with Children's Literature - The website was created by students at Utah State University in the Spring of 1997. It has links according to themes, titles, grade level, and author.

1 comment:

tampatimes10 said...

Hello Rachel,
I love your site and love the fact that you put so much effort in your career in education. I found your website by googling "Little Red Riding Hood". My daughter who is in 2nd grade has a Fairy Tale Project to do and she wants to do her project on Little Red Riding Hood. She has to create a diorama to show her favorite scene and sadly while I'm trying to assist I don't know where to begin. We're going to rent the book from the Library because I haven't read that book since I read it to her when she was a toddler. She's read it a couple of months ago and says she has a favorite scene but the scene she's speaking of....I don't quite remember (I feel so old). Do you have any suggestions for her diorama? I think the forest is a great idea, but honestly I'm lost. Any suggestions? Thanks, L. Brauer. My email is lbrauer11@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help!